Blogger Tips And Tricks|Latest Tips For BloggersFree BacklinksBlogger Tips And Tricks
English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Powered By google

Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Hotlapper of The Week - Burt Artis

We all know Burt as creator of some very beautiful boats and some gadgets as well as the Hotlaps but what do we really know about him when it comes to sailing?
I have had the pleasure to get him for an Interview on this :)


We love you are hotlapping with us!

Ginger Henderson: How did your interest with sailing in Second Life begin?
Burt Artis: Really do not remember, but I do know I felt I discovered it too late! 
It is one of the things that kept me returning to SL and most of the sailors I know are nice people.

Ginger: You created this version of Hotlaps. What do you like about it so far?
Burt: It was like most of my projects just to see if I could make it work. It is a lovely puzzle!
After running it a week or 2 I was ready to stop "hosting" it cause it worked fine and it felt like a hassle to organize it over and over. But then some people stepped in and started helping out and encouraging to go on, I'm glad we did.
It is cool that it seems to have a growing group of sailors that like to sail laps with us.
And with this little crew  the work became part of the fun and it's nice to see people enjoying themselves.
What is cool is that we can race whenever we feel like it or if we have some time on our hands and that it is a great training tool. It looks like all sailors that regularly sail laps with us are better at it now than when we started out.
It is also a lot of fun to discover the new places we go to.

Ginger: Do you have any changes you would like to do with Hotlaps?
Burt: If I was a real coder I would make the program more robust, it seems to have some nasty little bugs.
I try not to be a perfectionist but when it does not work 100% it really bothers me. 
F that I think the next moment, it works 99.8% and it is good enough for a hobby project.

Ginger: What time-zone in Real Life are you from?
Burt: Holland here, 9 hours earlier than second life time.

Ginger: Do you sail also in your Real Life? (But we understand if you say 'none of your business' ;))
Burt: When I was young I used to sail a lot and later even had a few boats, its been a few years since I was last out (damn)
I can recommend anybody that likes sailing here to try it in RL if you can,  it is awesome and you have a pretty good base knowledge if you learned to do it in here!

Ginger: What are your top 3 favorite sailboats in Second Life?
Burt: I like bigger boats best, they are less nervous and they like looong trips (totally opposite of RL by the way where I like small open boats :) ) I like boats that are a challenge to sail. 
My prettiest boat is Rene Underby's Schokker, it is also fun to sail.
A must have on this list is the Shields cause I spend so much time with her. It is a pity I do not allow myself to race her.
(Do not want any suspicion of me cheating cause I am so fast :) )
And I like the Trudeau 12M cause this boat looks beautiful and I seem to be really fast in it somehow.
(whispers: but it is really hard to choose only 3)

Ginger: You seem to be dominant with your Trudeau 12M recently.  Been sailing this boat for long?
Burt: Bought it cause they were sailed a lot in the FIYC races at 11 AM (nice Euro friendly times) 
We sailed it there for months almost every weekday!

Ginger: Besides Hotlaps, do you practice with sailing a lot?
Burt: No, when i get a new boat I usually sail it more then usual for a week or so to figure it out after that it is only in a cruise or a race and recently the Hotlaps!
But I did practice a whole LOT when I started sailing in SL that was the Tako days and later the Fizz.

Ginger: When sailing, do you use any tools or settings to help you you may want to share with others? Things such as your preferred AWA on different headings and tactical choices on this week's course like where to start from, where to tack etc?
Burt: No special tools, I do try most of em though! (loves gadgets!)
Made a movie sailing the 12M around this weeks course with my tips and tricks in text balloons:



Ginger: What question would you want added to this interview? So we can ask the next sailor for you.
Burt: Think it is fun to get to know the people we sail with a little better so maybe a really open question like tell us a bit about yourself :) see what they wish to share (you can make up things if it is a good read!)

Ginger: Any other things you would like to share with others?
Burt: I would like to thank the Hotlaps crew for making this possible!
If you would like to get involved too let us know (read the help wanted note in the info card)

Ginger: Thank you very much for your time for this interview and looking forward to seeing you on the Second Life waters soon.  :)


4 comments:

  1. Good interview, Burt! The video is especially nice, I learned from it even though I don't sail the 12M. A question: It appears you are using Trap, with the map shoved aside. Is that correct?

    Thanks again for creating Hotlaps! Maybe next week we can have a bigger float for the Lazy Sailors Club dances y-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Luna,
      Thank you, yes i dragged the map off screen so it will not pop up and block my view.

      Delete
  2. And not only for the hot laps, not the shields but also for the improvement of a old but still reliable script, the b wind 1.037:) and the catch the flag:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I don't care what Petra says, I like seeing this blog teased on the other forums, and find Bea's attitude far more reader- and sailor-friendly. :)

    ReplyDelete