Blogger Tips And Tricks|Latest Tips For BloggersFree BacklinksBlogger Tips And Tricks
English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Powered By google

Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Hotlapper of The Week - PeterSailor

I have the chance to Interview another 250 plus hotlapper Peter. I have known Peter since my sailing d├ębut so quite happy to have this interview with him :)

We love that you are hotlapping with us!


Ginger Henderson: How did your interest with sailing in Second Life begin?
PeterSailor: I have sailed in RL since the age of 4 but only during summers. I came to SL when I heard that it offered a possibility to ‘sail’ at other times of the year.

Ginger: We seen you sail in many Hotlaps. What do you enjoy about them?
Peter: I mostly enjoy the possibility of improving my online sailing, particularly to learn the subtle technical issues that differ from RL sailing. I also enjoy learning about different places to sail in SL.

Ginger: Do you have any changes you would like to see with Hotlaps?
Peter: The change that I wanted has just been implemented with the timestamp listing on the spreadsheet. I think that will help many of us to decide when not to try hotlaps, especially those of us who have sometimes become addicted.

Ginger: What time-zone in Real Life are you from?
Peter: USA, Boston time.

Ginger: Do you sail in Real Life as well? (But we understand if you say 'none of your business' ;))
Peter: Yes, I have sailed in RL for most of my life. I learned to sail in the longest continuously raced class in America, a wooden gaff rigged dinghy. I have raced in light planing dinghies, in a keel boat that looks similar to the Trudeau One but which sails more smoothly, and on ocean cruising/racing boats. Unlike the constantly pleasant weather of SL I have often raced in winds so light that they made no ripples in the water and on the other hand in an Atlantic storm on the way to Bermuda where the seas were 30 feet (10 meters) high.

Ginger: What are your top 3 favorite sailboats in Second Life?
Peter: I have a sentimental attachment to the Laser, because it was the first boat that I raced in SL (at TWYC) even though it is a very uncomfortable boat in RL. I like the Wildwind OP 60 for long distance races, but I enjoy the Trudeau 12 M the most, because she is the closest to sailing a RL keel boat. She requires a very subtle touch and trim.

Ginger: We seen you sailing mostly the Trudeau 12M.  Been sailing this boat for long?
Peter: I sailed the Trudeau 12 M as a tester and in performance trials before she was released. I also created the gestures for her and sailed her with Luna to make a promotional video

Ginger: Besides Hotlaps, do you practice with sailing a lot?
Peter: I race and I sail my Trudeau 12 M throughout continental SL.

Ginger: When sailing, do you use any tools or settings to help you that you may want to share with others? Things such as your preferred AWA on different headings and tactical choices on this weeks course like where to start from, where to tack?
Peter: I always sail a hotlap course several times in whichever boat I’m in before trying a timed lap, because you need to develop a strategy for anticipating the implications of how an early manoeuvre will effect later positioning. I suggest watching how the best hotlappers sail the course and watching any videos that are available for each class of boat such as Armano’s for the Shields, Jake’s for the Bandit IF, and Burt’s for the Trudeau 12 M, from which I learned a lot and for which I thank him very much.

Ginger: What question would you like to ask other sailors out there?
Peter: Most importantly, are you having fun? How can the fastest hotlappers help you become a better sailor?

Ginger: Any other things you would like to share with others?
Peter: I would encourage the fastest sailors of any class to make a video of how they sail their laps just as Burt did. Unlike racing, hotlaps are not so much for beating someone else but instead for everyone to learn and improve. Then go beat the racers at the race lines!

Ginger: Thank you very much for your time for this interview and looking forward to seeing you on the Second Life waters soon.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Love reading that "We should helkp each other getting better" - I have met Peter a few times, and he really is very helpful, and always ready to share and help if and when it's neede .. Thank you Peter, and thank you Ginger for another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is fun indeed when people share their tips and tricks, makes racing more interesting! Really have to try hard to stay ahead of you in that 12M :) .....if at all.
    Nice sailing out there.
    Thanks for the interview Ginger and Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice interview, but then, I'm biased. And a relentless editor of my own posts. :D

      Delete