Blogger Tips And Tricks|Latest Tips For BloggersFree BacklinksBlogger Tips And Tricks
English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Powered By google

Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Hotlapper of The Week - Kayo Torii

Kayo started our Hotlapper Group called Hotlaps Junkies ;). And has now over 250 laps sailed. Congrats. Wanted to know about her more so here we go...

We love you are hotlapping with us!


Ginger Henderson: Your interest with sailing in Second Life, how did it begin?
It was a cold winter night and I meet Olivia on the dock. Snow was slowly falling outside and summer was still a dream. In SL, it was a sunny day and she was fighting with her Nacra. We started to speak. Two hours after, I was sailing with my own Nacra. I found that sailing in SL was fun and in some-way realistic.

Ginger: We seen you sail in some Hotlaps. What do you enjoy about them?
Kayo Torii: I like to race. When I see another boat I have to race her! Hotlap is a great concept, because you can race when you want, you don’t have to speed up on the road coming back from work, skip your dinner or change your social activities. You do it when you want. But don’t mistake, it is still a community of racers and we all fight for the time! Speaking about the community, I think it is an important part of the hotlap. A group of nice people, it is like a second family.

Ginger: Any changes you would like to see with Hotlaps?
Kayo: Not really. We already have so much freedom. The hotlap is a playground and you can use it. For instance, we often race between Nacra. I asked Burt if we could put a hay line, but it is a detail. Maybe, it would be nice to have more interactions outside the hotlap. Lolla and Olivia organized a party once and it was very fun. We should do it more !

Ginger: What part of the Real Life world are you from?
Kayo: That’s a complicate question. I am American by adoption and a proud jersey’s girl! It is my home.
I am born in Spain from a Spanish’s mother and Belgian father. I came here to work for my company ten years ago and my life is now here. Before that, I have been working in different places in Europe and South America. So sometimes, I really don't know where I am from :). But does it matter? More I think about it, I have the feeling that the only home I would like to have is the Ocean. Endless, with no borders, no politics, no wars....only freedom and adventure.

Ginger: Do you sail also in your Real Life as well?
Kayo: Yes. I was 5 years old when I started. My father always had a boat. I remember he had a small 18 feet cruiser and each summer we were going to a different place living 3 weeks on board. We went to France, Spain and Italy. These are the greatest memories of my childhood. It is probably one of the reason I love so much the sea. When I started to work I raced with a Tornad, then I bought a first 22 that I kept for more than 10 years. Each week-end, I was sailing and forgetting the world. I sold her to come to the US and bought an Hunter 30. I cannot imagine my life without a sailboat. I cannot imagine the rest of my life if I cannot have this dream of sailing the world. This is our big project for the next coming 5 or 6 years. Safe enough money, buy a 37 feet boat and sail away :)

Ginger: What are your top 3 favourite sailboats in Second Life?
Kayo: I like the Nacra. She gives you a lot and she forgives a lot of mistakes. The FS is my second love, the bitchy sister of the Nacra; do one mistake and you will pay cash :) The Bandit 25R is my third choice, I sail her when I want a cool sail or to reckon the lap.
I don’t like big boat in SL such as the OP 60 etc…I don’t feel any sensation; I don’t feel them realistic at all. The Bandit IF is my love and hate. I have to recognize the realism but at the same time it is sometimes annoying in SL

Ginger: We've seen you sailing mostly the Nacra 17,  have you been sailing this boat for long?
Kayo: Since December / January. It is a very good boat when you are alone. The FS in the other hand is more adapted for a crew. Sailing alone and with a crew is a complete different experience and challenge. I encourage you to try both ! With a crew you will need harmony and practice.

Ginger: Besides Hotlaps, do you practice with sailing often?
Kayo: I do a race time to time. On Friday and Saturday, I may participate to the IF competition. But mostly, I run hotlaps and race against my friends. I obviously hate August so fast with the Bandit and Destiny with the Nacra ^^.
Just kidding of course ! I learned a lot from both of them!
I use as well my boat to go from one place to the other in our estate and avoid the TP.

Ginger: When sailing, do you use any tools or settings to help you you may want to share with others?
Kayo: The only good tool is the one you like. I don’t have any specific one. In fact, I am using the standard boat HUD and play with the arrows of the keyboard. It works for me.
Ah…yes…I have sail assistant for navigation. It is very easy to configure and shows your waypoints. Not that I don’t get lost, but it helps :)
My best tool is the map that Lucy is doing each week. Thank you Lucy!

Ginger: What question would you like to ask other sailors out there?
Kayo: We are sailors, we don’t ask question!

Ginger: Is there anything else you would like to share with others?
Kayo: No, but I would like to take the opportunity to thanks Burt and all the team people working behind the scene to make these hotlaps happen week after week. It is a great idea and a great community! Thanks again !

Ginger: Thank you very much for your time for this interview and looking forward to seeing you on the Second Life waters soon.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Always a good read! thanks Ginger, and Kayo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new week and new great interview, thank you Ginger and Kayo - Nala

    ReplyDelete
  3. "More I think about it, I have the feeling that the only home I would like to have is the Ocean. Endless, with no borders, no politics, no wars....only freedom and adventure."

    What a lovely notion! Thank you, Kayo!

    And I agree completely with your assessment of the IF! :)

    ReplyDelete