Blogger Tips And Tricks|Latest Tips For BloggersFree BacklinksBlogger Tips And Tricks
English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Powered By google

Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Hotlapper of The Week - Looralie

This time I got a chance to get an Interview with Looralie. :) She is a devoted Hotlapper and fierce competitor. Lets learn a bit about her.

We love that you are hotlapping with us!


Ginger Henderson: How did your interest with sailing in Second Life begin?
Looralie: Sailboats have always aroused my imagination, even if I don’t sail myself, as a symbol of escape. A few years ago I’ve been at the “Voiles de Saint-Tropez”, an event melting classic and modern sail yachts in the south of France for one week of regattas. Being so close to these beauties, some of them hundred-year-old, their copper-colored woods boldly bent on the waves, huge sails magnified in the contrejour, was outstanding.
Having noticed sailboats in SL, one day i started searching on the Marketplace and inworld stores, collecting freebies and demos, looking for saillable sims; in a few days I learned about SL geography, continents, connected navigable sims and all. After months of box-to-box TP'ing, it was like suddenly discovering the vast world.
I bought a Trudeau François Jacques, learned how to sail with the help of randomly met sailors (a big thanks to Lampoon), then went for a SL world tour, from south Satori where i live, to a tour of Blake Sea islands, Gaeta V, Corsica, Nautilus and back… Had to do some parts by feet or flying, though :/
Then I discovered cruises, etc, etc. :)

Ginger: We  have seen you sail in many Hotlaps. What do you enjoy about them?
Looralie: Hotlaps offers the opportunity to compete with yourself, progress and compare your results with the others, and it's open 24/7 :)
For me, each new course is like a small enigma to resolve: find the quickest route, the best settings, perform manoeuvres as quickly and smoothly as possible.
I also enjoy the hotlappers friendly spirit, having a chat on the dock, exchanging tips and ideas, making friends and having fun together, like in these improvised races we have sometimes.

Ginger: Anything different you would like to see with Hotlaps?
Looralie: It's hard to say what would be better, how well it works like it is. The spreadsheets maybe would be more easily readable if they could only show the best time of each hotlapper, and/or their medium time... But well, I'm not sure it can be done.

Ginger: What part of the Real Life world are you from?
Looralie: I'm french, living in Paris region.

Ginger: Do you sail also in your Real Life as well?
Looralie: Not at all!
During my childhood, for sport classes I have had to sail Optimists during a season, it was on a lake in winter and i disliked it: wading in a cold muddy water… Erk!
By the same time a couple of friends of my parents used to take us for Mediterranean day cruises on their sailboat; I have nice memories of it, but not much more.
With this new passion growing up in SL, i feel that I should give sailing a new try in RL… but well, I’m not as young as I was then /me laughs

Ginger: What are your top 3 favourite sailboats in Second Life?
Looralie: Hard to say, I still only have four, plus the free ones :)
I'm still in love with my François Jacques, because it has been the first one, the one with which i learned, because it's easy to handle, gives me sensations, and because she's so beautiful! I lastly re-texturized it in order to have the wood more looking like teak, and the hull resembling Eric Tabarly's Pen Duick :)
The Nacra of course, which has become a drug for me, so fast and fun to sail :)
The Loonetta, which gives me nice sensations too, so realistic... I like to go for a long quiet cruise on it, listening to the sounds of the water whipping the bow and the wind slamming the sails :P

Ginger: We've seen you sailing mostly the Nacra 17, have you been sailing this boat for long?
Looralie: I bought the Nacra as soon as I contracted the Hotlaps virus, about 5 months ago. I was close to buy a Flying Shadow, but Olivia and Lolla convinced me to change my plans for the Nacra, and I don't regret.

Ginger: Besides Hotlaps, do you practice with sailing often?
Looralie: Well, as I spend a totally unreasonable amount of time on Hotlaps, not as much as I should.
I like to join cruises, mostly the Topless' whom I enjoy the mood, the variety of the courses and the organization.
I still also like to go for a lonely cruise from time to time... Maybe plan a new SL tour next time, probably with the Nacra... it would take less time than with the François Jacques, and it can be funny :)

Ginger: When sailing, do you use any tools or settings to help you that you may want to share with others?
Looralie: It depends... It's changing.
Mostly the USB, the PPS map and the minimap. I used to wear Burt's compass, but (sorry Burt) I hardly look at it while sailing, so lately I only used it to make my route, then un-ware it.
Also, I used to create my own WPs, but on Juneau North after several tries and discussions with hotlappers I opted for a more intuitive routing.
On the Nacra I intensively use gestures, trim the sails by ±1, 5 or 10 allows so fast manoeuvres… and continuously adjust the gen, while trying to keep a good heeling downwind.
On boats which allow it such as the François Jacques or the Loonetta, I like sailing in mouse look.

Ginger: What question would you like to ask other sailors out there?
Looralie: Oh, just a suggestion... After a crash would you, as possible, look for your boat and remove it? Some parcel owners don't set an auto-return and these wandering wrecks can sometimes become cumbersome for ourselves or for the course shoreline residents.

Ginger: Is there anything else you would like to share with others?
Looralie: It's not original but i'd like to thank Burt and all the ones who give of their time to this nice experience and community, and all the sailors who make it exist by their participation.
Hugs and fair winds! :)

Ginger: Thank you very much for your time for this interview and looking forward to seeing you on the Second Life waters soon.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice interview!
    Totally agree with the statement that the hotlappers make hotlaps a fun event, they spend so much more time then the team does: 2616 hours 30 minutes and 51 seconds sailed by 164 hotlappers since we started somewhere on the end of 2015 is an amazing amount of time invested!

    ReplyDelete